Syrian army presses offensive in last rebel stronghold of Idlib

Scroll down to content

Author: Not mentioned
Posted on: Middle East Monitor| January 7th 2018

 

Syria’s army and its allies pressed further into the country’s largest remaining rebel stronghold on Sunday, capturing a town and several villages as they approached a military airport, a pro-Damascus media unit and a war monitor reported.
Forces loyal to Bashar al-Assad have stepped up the offensive in the southern province of Idlib in recent days, advancing towards the Abu al-Duhur airport, which rebels captured from the president’s troops in September 2015.
The Syrian army and its allies “have gained control over the town of Sinjar,” 14 kms (nine miles) from Abu al-Duhur, and three villages to the west, the media unit run by Assad ally Hezbollah reported.
Supported by Iran-backed militias and Russian air power, Assad’s forces have since late October taken back rebel-held territory in Idlib and the northeastern province of Hama.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Sunday the army had taken more than 95 villages in Hama and Idlib since October 22, including around 60 in Idlib alone during the past 14 days:
Battles have shifted now to the northwest of Sinjar after the Syrian army and its allies have controlled the town
The main rebel force in Idlib is Tahrir al-Sham, spearheaded by the former al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Syria previously called Nusra Front.
The Syrian army lost Idlib, which borders Turkey, to insurgents when the provincial capital fell in 2015. It became the only province fully under opposition control.
The largest population gathering is in Eastern Idlib, the monitor said, expressing fears from further intensive civilian displacement in the coming few days due to the ongoing fighting.
Tens of thousands of rebels and civilians took refuge in Idlib after abandoning their homes in other parts of western Syria that the government and its foreign allies have retaken.
The fighting and air strikes have forced more than 60,000 people to leave their homes since November 1, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
The United Nations said the civilians newly displaced by the fighting in Idlib were in a “dire” situation.

 

Read at: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180107-syrian-army-presses-offensive-in-last-rebel-stronghold-of-idlib/

Σχολιάστε

Εισάγετε τα παρακάτω στοιχεία ή επιλέξτε ένα εικονίδιο για να συνδεθείτε:

Λογότυπο WordPress.com

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό WordPress.com. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Google+

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Google+. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Twitter

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Twitter. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Facebook

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Facebook. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Σύνδεση με %s

Αρέσει σε %d bloggers: