Erdogan says Turkey will start new military operation against US-backed Kurdish fighters in Syria within days

Scroll down to content

Posted on: The Telegraph | December 15th, 2018
Author: 

Turkey will launch a new operation in Syria within days against a US-backed Kurdish militia that Ankara considers a terrorist group, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday.

«We will start an operation to free the east of the Euphrates from the separatist terrorist organisation in the next few days,» Mr Erdogan said during a speech in Ankara, referring to territory held by the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).

Turkey says the YPG is a «terrorist offshoot» of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984.

The PKK is blacklisted as a terror group by Ankara and its Western allies.

US forces have worked closely with the YPG under the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil).

«The target is never American soldiers but terrorist organisation members active in the region,» Mr Erdogan told the audience at a defence industry summit.

There are US forces with the SDF east of the Euphrates as well as in the flashpoint city of Manbij, which is west of the river.

Washington’s relationship with the YPG, seen as a key ally, is one of the main sources of tensions between Turkey and the US. Ankara has repeatedly lambasted Washington for providing military support to the Kurdish militia.

Mr Erdogan has previously threatened to attack areas held by the YPG. In a bid to avoid any clash, the Nato allies agreed a «roadmap» for Manbij in June.

His comments came a day after the Pentagon announced the setting up of US observation posts on the northeast Syria border region intended to prevent altercations between the Turkish army and the YPG despite calls from Ankara not to go ahead with the move.

Mr Erdogan claimed Turkey was not being protected from terrorists but «terrorists were being protected» from possible action by Turkey.

To read the original post, click here.

Σχολιάστε

Εισάγετε τα παρακάτω στοιχεία ή επιλέξτε ένα εικονίδιο για να συνδεθείτε:

Λογότυπο WordPress.com

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό WordPress.com. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Google+

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Google+. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Twitter

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Twitter. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Φωτογραφία Facebook

Σχολιάζετε χρησιμοποιώντας τον λογαριασμό Facebook. Αποσύνδεση /  Αλλαγή )

Σύνδεση με %s

Αρέσει σε %d bloggers: